Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Movie Review: Serenity & Aeon Flux

Here are a couple of movies that I watched over the weekend. Here is how they ranked:

Serenity (2005)
Picking up where his cult show "Firefly" left off, writer-director Joss Whedon's tale of galactic unrest follows Malcolm Reynolds (Nathan Fillion), captain of the transport ship Serenity, and his scrappy but loyal crew. When the ship picks up two new passengers -- fugitives from the powerful coalition ruling the universe -- "Mal" and his mates find themselves at the center of a cosmic conflict, pursued by military forces and space-roaming savages. - Netflix

I originally was not interested in the series Firefly, but after seeing this movie, I will have to put the first season in my queue. I realize that it this was based on the TV series, in which I have not seen as of yet. I felt that I was missing some of the underlying story and character development. I liked the movie, however, I would have to recommend that you see the TV series before watching this movie. There was a lot a action and great story line, but… it would have been so much better to have a clearer understanding of what was going on from the beginning. Still an enjoyable movie and almost worth a buy.



Aeon Flux (2005)
In the 25th century, a rampaging virus has forced the remnants of humanity into the seclusion of a last redoubt. But political conflict swirls within, and the climate is ripe for revolution. Aiming to hasten an uprising, the leader of the underground rebellion (Frances McDormand) dispatches acrobatic assassin Aeon Flux (Charlize Theron) to eliminate the government's top leader in this futuristic thriller based on the popular animated MTV show. – Netflix

I loved the MTV series Aeon Flux and was looking forward to this full length movie. Now, I realize the MTV version was a cartoon and this was a live action video, and so most of the stunts are not possible with a live human. With that being said, the stunts were fantastic and non-stop action. Storyline, however, was lacking and did not live up to my expectations. I much prefer to watch a episode of Dark Angel or La Femme Nikita to gain the same level of ass-kicking. If you have a couple of hours to kill, it is worth a watch.

2 comments:

Found said...

-serenity-
You have to watch the series first to get a grip on the movie. I bought the series and watched it a week before seeing it in the theater and it was so much better that way.

Very Lost said...

Commander M,
It is in my queue and I am looking forward in getting the first two DVDs next week. Thanks for your input and comments.
Laters-