Friday, May 05, 2006

Movie Review: Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci

As most of you know, from my comments about other movies and Netflix, I really enjoy watching movies. As of late have really enjoyed watching Horror movies by Lucio Fulci and Dario Argento. Dario’s Daughter, Asia, appears in some of his movies that I would not allow my daughter to even view. But, she is a great actress and attractive to boot.

Some movies that I have seen that were produced by Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci are:

Dario Argento: An Eye for Horror - This documentary on his work studies all of the giallo master's films through his upcoming "Sleepless." Argento himself comments on his career and divulges some of the secrets he has used in his craft. Also interviewed are Piper Laurie, Alice Cooper, and another master of horror, John Carpenter.” – Netflix

A great overview of the work that he has done as of late. Also some great interviews by John Carpenter and Alice Cooper.


The Stendhal Syndrome – “Italian director Dario Argento weaves together horror and suspense in this cult-classic thriller. While investigating a serial rapist and murderer in the famed Uffizi Museum, young detective Anna Manni (Argento's daughter Asia) begins having visions that the paintings around her are coming to life. While Manni is hallucinating, the rapist captures, tortures and violates her, driving the young detective to insanity.” – Netflix

It is really different, like a bad acid trip with very little nudity and some violence. Not one of his best films, but defiantly a rental.



Contraband – “Fabio Testi and Ivana Testi star in this Lucio Fulci-directed action-adventure in which the head of a gang -- Luca Di Angelo, an idealistic family man and cigarette smuggler in the treacherous Naples underworld -- finds himself hunted down by rivals who've already murdered his brother and kidnapped his wife. It's a game of cat and mouse … and no one knows who'll win.” – Netflix

There is lots of gore, violence and good storyline. There is a rape scene that is disturbing, but not really graphic. I have seen far better, with less done. I almost felt like the censorship boards had a hand in it. I probably would have to say that it was almost a waste of time.

I have not seen these movies yet by Fulci, but I am interested in seeing Four of the Apocalypse, Lucio Fulci: Don't Torture a Duckling, Conquest. I will have to post my comments on these after I watch them.

No comments: