Thursday, June 18, 2009

Newest Addition

We have a new addition to our household, a new dog. I would like to say for the record that it was all my doing, but I can’t take full responsibility for the new acquisition. My wife sent me an email with a link and a picture of the dog. I am only Human!

As most of you are aware, I lost my “Freya” dog last year, a 14 year old chow-husky-wolf mix. For Christmas, the girls got me a 2 year old yellow Lab, Thor. He is a great dog, but he is just not my kind of dog. Don’t get me wrong, he is a sweet dog, but not so bright. He is about 100 pounds of love, who always wants to be either on you or next to you. You put your hand down… and… look, there is a dog. He is like a bull in a china shop, knocking over anything in his way, very high energy that loves chewing on things. It really does not matter what it is, shoes, plastic, metal cans, wood…etc..

The newest edition is Skadi, in keeping with the Norse naming, a 2 year old half husky – half Malamute. Because of her bread, she is very much a pack oriented. To this end, I immediately established my dominance as Alpha, Norsa as Beta, the other two can fight out who is next in the chain of command. Even though, she is about 50-60 pounds, smaller than the other two by atleast 20 pounds, Skadi holds her own and is not afraid of taking you down. She is highly intelligent and it shows. She is loves destroying things.. must be the age… Thor does this too. Well, there was a stuffed toy in a plastic box, on top of another box, in the garage. In about an hour, she managed to pull the plastic box down, take it over to the other side of the garage, open the top and take out the toy. All this without making a lot of noise or destroying the plastic lid. If it was Thor, the box and everything in the box would be in pieces, not just the toy. She loves the kids and is getting along with the other two dogs. Unlike Freya, who we had to keep separated from the kids. Freya was very tail protective and went from play to “I am going to eat you NOW” in about.. that long… There were many times where her and I went rounds, not always did I come out unskathed. But, Freya was a great protector dog was missed when she died of cancer.

Skadi will fill that void that was left with the death of Freya. She has the temperament of being that protector dog. (Yes, I have seen her angry, not pretty.)

No comments: