Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Dog - My Dad

It has been a real crappy end of the year. As you know, my father has cancer and has been really struggling these past several weeks. I feel that time is short. My sister came into town last week to spend time with all of us. We had a nice family dinner with all of us talking and having my kids run around. He sure likes to watch them, brings a smile to his heart. I have been trying to spend as much time as possible over there and talk to him about everything but his health or his physical health. What is there to say? Feel like crap… Tonight, I will be heading over there after work to spend time there and have dinner.

About two weeks ago, Freya had a growth on the side of her jaw. I took her to the vet, who did a biopsy to figure out what it was, but it came back inconclusive. Last Tuesday, the vet wanted to remove it and send the entire thing as a sample. It grew to double the size of the prior week, so he just took enough to get a better idea of what it may be. When we where there, he said that it could be one of eight things, seven of which are fatal. Freya has been sleeping a lot, more than normal and wanting to be under me or my wife. This means that she is not feeling well. I have been giving her wet food to make sure that she has been eating. With a big thing in her mouth, I can understand that she would not want to eat this dry crunchy dog food. Last night, we got the test results back, it is cancer. The vet said that the treatment would begin with removing her jaw and beginning chemotherapy. I just can’t do that to my dog. I see what this is doing to my dad, I just can’t do it to my dog. So, we are going to have to put Freya down. It is the most humane thing to do.

And the hits keep on coming!

2 comments:

Geekboy said...

Steve,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having to put Freya down. With so much going on in your life the added loss is very sad.

My prayers are with you my friend.

Travis Illig said...

I'm really sorry to hear about all of this, man. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.