Friday, July 06, 2007

Hemophage, Vampirism, Folklore

Vampires have always been a common theme in society. We see it in our movies, books, and even in games.

Movies:
We all should remember a movie with Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves called Bram Stroker’s Dracula. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103874/) I absolutely love this movie (and book). For those who have not seen it, I would highly recommend renting it or even buying it. You should be able to find it in the bargain bin, it is that old. But, very very good. Another movie that I saw that had its roots in Vampirism was called Ultraviolet (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103874/), with the yummy Milla Jovovich. Let’s just say that she was the only reason for me to continue watching this poorly directed waste of film.

Games:
Two games that I really enjoy playing is Bloodlines for the PC (obviously a Vampire game) and Oblivion for the X360. I have posted on Bloodlines before, so I will not go into it again. (http://steves-rant.blogspot.com/2006/03/vampire-bloodlines.html) In the game Oblivion, you can contract a disease called Hemophage. Basically, it turns you into a Vampire. Which I do have to say has some very cool benefits. Increase in strength, agility, and the ability to disappear (once per day), just to name a few. However, there is a couple of drawbacks. Sunlight is an issue, but there is a way around that. AND Every couple of days, you have to feed. This proves to be more difficult as time goes on. Oh.. And the Vampire Hunters kind of get in the way.

Music:
As you have previously read, I found a group that I really enjoy called Cruxshadows. Well, I found another group that is “almost” as good, Blutengel. As I was listening to several of their songs, I found a common theme – Vampirism. When I watched a couple of videos, it all make sense – look at the teeth… So, here is one of their songs… Not the best, but themed well.

No comments: